Friday, October 24, 2008

On pricey hotels

On Pricey Hotels



Ok, before you say anything, I know that the prices are set for business travelers on expense accounts. Perhaps no one has noticed that even business travelers may be feeling the squeeze these days? And anyway, it's an academic conference.

But here's the thing. It's a hotel. People probably don't stay there more than a couple of nights, unless on vacation. And frankly, I get really cranky that business hotels charge for:

  • Internet connections -- wtf?
  • use of a refrigerator for personal items
  • even picking up anything from the minibar (apparently, there's a sensor that tells the front desk) -- even if you replace it, unused. This is especially sneaky when they stock things so you can't see the labels). no, I did not get caught on this one
  • double prices on mediocre food. Not to mention the price of a coke. Or a cup of tea. I've paid less in London with a 2:1 exchange rate.


Also, when it takes 25 minuted to get online with the expensive internet, and only because the customer knew more about the internet problems than the person at customer service (which didn't pick up for 10 minutes), they should pay me for my time!

4 comments:

Susan said...

I'm totally with you on this. You go to the Comfort Inn and spend $59 a night, and get free internet access and breakfast -- then you go to pricey Hilton or WEstin where fancy conferences are, and it's $10 a day for internet. Even the Holiday Inn has free internet. THey just assume the expense account. GRRRRR.

Matthew Gabriele said...

It's because they cater primarily to business travelers and figure that their companies are going to pick up the tab anyway. Same reason, I'd think, MBA programs are so frickin' expensie...

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Oh, crap. Please tell me that this isn't for AHA. I'm going this year, and I haven't gotten around to booking my hotel yet.

Thank god I'm sharing a room.

Another Damned Medievalist said...

No, I'm at SSHA -- in Miami, where it's 80 and cloudy and ugly. And the hotel -- the Intercontinental. I am underimpressed.