I think we should form a new party, because the Dems and Reps aren't really doing it for us any more. I think we should call it the American Values Party. Our party platform could have things like:
- Freedom of Speech, Religion, Press, and Assembly
- Right to bear arms in ways that don't impinge upon the safety and freedom of others -- and regulated, as militias are regulated
- No quartering soldiers in private homes (I'm thinking this won't be a big one)
- No unreasonable search and seizure, unless by warrant granted for probable cause
- Right to a Grand Jury for capital crimes, protection from double jeopardy, and self incrimination
- Right to due process and a speedy trial
- right to trial by jury
- protection against excessive fines and cruel and unusual punishment
- the right to have rights and privileges not specifically mentioned herein
- the right of the states and people to decide on laws and rights not specifically in or against the US constitution
- freedom of speech and religion being granted to all, all citizens, regardless of race, creed, color, or sexual orientation, have equal rights and protections.
- all military action expected to last more than one week must be ratified by the Senate
- No bill shall pass through Congress that has more than one topic; sub-topics must relate directly to the letter AND spirit of the main topic.
Just an idea. The party would also devote itself to fighting for a more moral society by encouraging family values, especially among those whose economic situations make it difficult, but building a better safety net and a tax and child-care credit that allows people to only work one job to support a family; to combat unwanted pregnancies by prevention (including, but not limited to, abstinence education in the schools, because it's a good option for a lot of people) -- and by offering more afterschool and pro-education options for K-12 because hell, a lot of it is dumbass kids who are bored and have low self-esteem. Better pay for entry-level jobs and greater restriction of working hours for teens, because really, they are not gaining in the long run by having disposable incomes, little sleep, and crappy grades. A return of the sex and violence watershed, and a reduction in commercials for that period. Protect our children and their values by not treating them as consumers. Greater access to parks and green areas, with hands-on nature experience for all K-12 kids. More arts education for our kids -- it makes them smarter and gives them creative outlets for their emotions. More PE -- it makes them healthy and they learn better.
Like I said -- just an idea. It's for the kids.