- I should be working, but am going out to tidy the garden because it's gloriously sunny and in the 50s. And my garden looks like hell, people. The hydrangeas are getting new leaves, but I never pruned their heads last year. The peonies may not make it. Please do not ask about the veggie patch. It's humiliating.
- Ran into a really old (in the sense of knowing for almost 20 years) friend on a listserv. SO happy to get back in touch. Funny thing -- I mentioned blogging and he knew exactly which blog was mine. I know I'm not the most anonymous pseudonymous blogger, but there are a bunch of us. I guess if you know me, you kinda know my voice.
- Phone interviews are over so far. Really liked both schools. Still prefer the more rural one, I think, if only because it allows for more work in my area. On the other hand, midwestern school has no formal tenure and no publishing requirements because they are all about teaching. I really liked the people in the department -- very small. The last interview, with the person from a different department, wasn't quite as good, I felt. Or maybe just a different tone, since it was the only interview with a woman. Still, the interviews each lasted about 90 minutes, so I'm hopeful.
- ADH is working on his second week of being unemployed. Not fun. I'm hoping he'll get contract work until we know what's going on with me. But that he gets work, because otherwise, we'll have to make some serious budgetary changes.
- Pets are all happy and well. Dog and I went running yesterday, but I didn't use my inhaler and had to keep slowing down.
- Found a song that makes me cry every time I hear it: The Waifs' Bridal Train. I'm not sure why, but I always tear up and get blubby. It's about the women in the band's grandmother, who was a war bride. It's also really cool from a historian's perspective, because I did not know that the US government had arranged post-war transport for Australian brides of, as the song calls them, 'Yankee sailors.' Anyway, I highly recommend this band because they rock.
- And finally, the next History Carnival is happening here on March 15. Please email me at another_damned_medievalist AT hotmail Dot com (syntax corrected, of course) if you have or know of something I should put in.
- and something past finally -- sorry to all the wonderful bloggers I've been ignoring lately. I love you -- I really love you, but it's the end-of-quarter crunch for me!