Saturday, April 16, 2005

Be Very Afraid

Be Very Afraid ... ?



Because yesterday, I saw my first glimpse of this. I knew it was coming. I will undoubtedly see it. After all, it has an amazing, high-testosterone cast (and by that I mean lots of studly actors, from Orlando Bloom to Liam Neeson -- and Jermey Irons, maybe not studly, but an incredible actor when he chooses. But, er, here's part of the blurb:
"Kingdom of Heaven is a monumental epic of tolerance, honor and humanity, starring Orlando Bloom and set against the turbulent, emotionally charged and world-shaping Crusades. From master filmmaker Ridley Scott, it traces the story of Balian, a common man of extraordinary conscience who rises to knighthood and embarks upon a life-changing journey to find peace and a better world"


They do explain the common-man-to-knighthood thing by making him the illegitimate son of a noble. And it's Ridley Scott, who just can't make a movie that looks bad -- and has made some of my very favorite films. But still ... I am afraid. On the other hand ...

Teaching Moment!!!

4 comments:

Ancarett said...

Yes, we can always rely on movies to be a teaching moment. Honestly, the bigger the hype, the bigger the opportunity to teach around the errors which they'll inevitably be.

But what makes me giggle the most is the casting of Orlando Bloom as a blacksmith (again!). Boy has the spindliest arms of any young actor I've seen. And we're supposed to believe he's been hammering out at the smithy all this time? No way!

Another Damned Medievalist said...

And why always blacksmiths? Never any other job ... oh -- maybe stableboy, I guess!

Anonymous said...

It's more Pocksie Kitsch!

Harrison

New Kid on the Hallway said...

See, I'm DYING to see this! (I'm a sucker for such movies. I loved Gladiator.) Sure, I'd be amazed if it's accurate, but hey! Orlando Bloom and huge Ridley Scott battle scenes! what more could one want? ;-)