Thursday, October 22, 2009

Brain Fart

Brain Fart



I'm applying for a job. I remembered to ask my Dean for a referral. But as for others, I forgot that I haven't yet asked people, and also I have no idea to ask anymore. I seem to be in a weird place where my only publication is forthcoming and in pedagogy, and I'm trying to think of people who have come to my presentations, and I don't really know them well enough to ask on what is becoming very short notice! Aargh.



I spend an awful lot of time thinking about applications, so that I write good letters and statements, but I don't know how I managed to blank on this part. D'oh.

Has anybody got suggestions for how to dig myself out of this one?

1 comment:

J. Otto Pohl said...

It took me many years to find three people I could always rely upon for letters of reference. One of them was my Ph.D. supervisor. Most academics are just unwilling to write them. So I figure if you do not know three people that will write letters for you at the drop of a hat you are pretty much screwed. Personally, I wish that applications did not ask for letters up front, but only contact information. Then if you made it through the first round they could ask your references for letters. This would save everybody a lot of unneeded work.