Thursday, July 03, 2008

I Can Haz Kontrack

I Can Haz Kontrack!



Got an e-mail as I was leaving, which basically said that, under German law, the emails already exchanged on my book-length project were enough documentation to show a legal contract. This scares me a little, and makes me happy I was very careful to mention and make a correction on subvention amounts, but I am also relieved! I have a contract! I must now finish the bastard thing.

Fortunately, I am right this minute sitting in the British Library, having arrived this morning at 7:00 (to the country, not the BL). I can do work here! After I finish my article revisions. And concurrently with writing a very overdue review.

My Dean will now be both pleased and annoyed. Contract = good, but the timing means that this project probably won't count towards my next promotion. Me, I'm fine, because I think it will seal the deal on this promotion and the security of my position at SLAC. And, because one does not stop looking at ads if one hopes one day for the Dream Job, I hope it will make me look just that little bit better on paper.

7 comments:

medieval woman said...

ADM, that's great!!! Many many congrats to you...

What Now? said...

Congrats! And I'd say, yes, you're looking better and better for any Dream Jobs that come along.

Plus, how impressive are you? You arrived in the country at 7:00 a.m. and are already in the BL on the very same day? Have you scheduled in handling the jet lag for later today?

Another Damned Medievalist said...

wn, it's about tryng ot stay awake and get up at the proper time tomorrow!

Matthew Gabriele said...

Congrats! I expect to hear much about this soon...

Susan said...

Congratulations! THat's great. And, I ALWAYS need a nap when I arrive at 7 AM -- if I can sleep an hour or so in the morning I can last until 8:30 or 9, and I'm all set. But the BL my first day? Wow.

Kelly in Kansas said...

congrats on the article and I hope the BL time is more than productive!

Belle said...

Congratulations on both the contract and getting right to work! I loved working in the BL, but there's no way I could work before recovering from jet lag. Good for you!