Sunday, August 24, 2008

In lieu of meaningful posting

In lieu of meaningful posting



Because I am in denial about many things at the moment, some personal, most having to do with the FIVE hours I teach tomorrow and the syllabi I haven't quite finished, I give you ... humour.


You Might Be A Medievalist If...

-Your secondary sources are somebody else's primary sources.

-Everyone else on your conference panel has taken holy orders.

-You have a favorite decree of the Fourth Lateran Council.

-Your particular field of study could be wiped out by a car accident.

-You've ever been asked "the truth" about King Arthur.

-You refer to the American Revolution as a "recent development."

-You add the word "yet" to the statement "I don't know that language."

-You specify which level of hell your day has been like.

-You call the renaissance "a dirty lie."

4 comments:

Thoroughly Educated said...

Excellent. I especially like 1, 2, and 7.

Anonymous said...

Right now I want to add one about strangers assuming you are a Ricardian simply because you think historiographically rather than judgementally, but that's just me, this week, I think, having been accused of being a Ricardian by a stranger.

Mostly I get the Arthur one and the language one. It's how I know I'm still a Medivealist, despite what I'm actually spending my days doing.

I suspect that being a Medievalist becomes embedded in the bone far too easily.

TheCrankyProfessor said...

18th Century history?

CURRENT EVENTS.

Hannah Kilpatrick said...

If I may make an addition...

When your sister mentions historical developments during the inter-war period, your response is "Just a moment, which wars?"