Monday, November 23, 2009

A sad truth of academia?

A sad truth of academia? (NaNoBloPo/NaSchoWriMo 23)



I have finished my teaching obligations for the week. I have finished my service obligations for the week. And all I can think is that I have several days in which I can actually get some damned work done. I have a big pile of marking to do -- essays for all classes, and catching up on all the online marking. The plus is that I will only have one set of papers to read the weekend before finals, and then the finals.

I am so looking forward to break, when I can ... ok, take a little break. I'm going home to visit The Kid and X and friends for five days, and there are a couple of parties and maybe some hiking, too. But mostly I will be looking forward to re-reading LDW's latest book, which I'm using for class, and at least one of his other books, and working on my damned book project (about which Superdean is nagging me) and also perhaps on my article for TenthMedieval. And going to the gym.

Maybe I'm just like this because I'm hopeless about time and balance. Maybe other academics spend their holidays actually having holidays. But I have this weird feeling that I'm not the only one who sees non-teaching time as a way to catch up.

On the other hand, I expect that it's a good thing that I've got to the point where I see these breaks now as real breaks, mental breaks, opportunities to do things I want to do, rather than as something I resent because I won't have a break. Still, I think I'd like to get more writing done in term time, and actually have a holiday, too.

5 comments:

Kelly in Kansas said...

None of my academic friends that are productive take actual breaks the entire holiday. I think we primarily do what you do - catch up on the work we want to do! Happy Turkey Day, ADM!

Susan said...

THursday will be all relaxation and eating, but other than that, there is work to do, friends!

Another Damned Medievalist said...

Happy Thanksgiving to both of you!

Anonymous said...

Will mail you about that article, the short version is that things are now moving and I think we will be able to give a new schedule within a fortnight or so. Have a good break: I have two more lectures to do and am counting the days...

J. Otto Pohl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.