Wednesday, August 01, 2007

A Meme?

Yes, right here, it's a meme!


When I was off burying my rather substantial nose in the BL's books, jb tagged me to do the Eight Wonderments Meme. So here are eight things I wonder about. Lots are about me. Sorry.

  1. When will I stop worrying about keeping my job? Seriously. I wonder all the time when people are going to find out about me. Don't laugh. You know you do it, too!
  2. No matter what kind of tomato plants I buy, the damned things never start to ripen before August, and the damned things take weeks. This did not happen in super-overcast city (although the plants were in the open and not on a balcony then). What am I doing wrong here?
  3. Where is the outrage? This is a big question, and I don't mean just other people's outrage. Seriously, look at Alberto Gonzales, and the whole DoJ fiasco, for example. I think my outrage has been replaced by a numbing disbelief -- or a disbelieving numbness. Remember when we thought Nixon had done bad things?
  4. Who would win in a fight -- astronauts or cavemen?
  5. How can people who believe in an omnipotent supreme being not believe in the possibility of life on other planets? Actually, how could anybody not believe it's a possibility?
  6. Why are so many of my colleagues snobs about sf/f, especially in regards to book clubs? Or possibly, why is it that I find a lot of contemporary novels incredibly dull accounts of normal people letting their reasonably normal lives turn them into self-absorbed idiots. I like books that deal with bigger issues and possibility. I really don't want to read about a woman's self-discovery in the face of loss and oppression, set against the sprawling backdrop of a poverty-stricken village.
  7. Why don't poachers just drug the damned rhinos and cut off their horns, so that they can grow back? It seems to me that Rhino horn is probably a renewable resource, since it's made out of hair or something.
  8. Why didn't I meet LDW 20 years ago? or even 15?
  9. Bonus question -- why do you only hear that noise when you are in bed, and why is it that cats choose never to make it when poised over a hard floor? Seriously. Damned cats will run around the house making the noise and leaving little deposits all over, and never is it in the kitchen or bathroom. Why?

Not tagging anybody because this is an old meme!

3 comments:

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

I love #4. Totally cavemen.

Another Damned Medievalist said...

Hee! Of course it's not original ... I blame Joss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DulUVxzmpDM

Another Damned Medievalist said...

d'oh! Forgot that there's no auto-format on comments. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DulUVxzmpDM