Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Ethical Considerations

Ethical Considerations


So a temporary job comes up on the market. Really fast hire. And you know whose job it is, and it looks very much as though the person was shafted (not necessarily by the school). And you have a lot of respect for that person. But you're also collecting unemployment and they do audits to make sure you're really applying for jobs. And it is a job. In this market. Do you apply?

In other news, I'm interviewing for a one-year position that's almost local this week, and spent much of a mandatory unemployment orientation yesterday jotting down ideas for two different papers. I think the K'zoo one may be changing focus a bit? But will fit into the sponsorship better, maybe. Using land transactions to show the geographical movement of leading families and their political influence as the really important family in my time period extend their influence in the only direction they can? I have to finish up Matthew Innes and Simon MacLean first, though, to make sure it's feasible and also not repetitive. And this is is from my thesis, right, so no poaching -- but comments and advice welcome. Damn, I wish I were going to St. Andrews for that conference. Bugger being less than fully employed.

And yes, I know I'm giving way too many hints via my project, but at least it's academic so Ivan Tribble can just ...

8 comments:

~profgrrrrl~ said...

I say apply ... because it is a tight market and clearly you're not shafting the person out of the job. Someone will be hired for that position and it might as well be you, right?

Anonymous said...

I agree with profgrrrrl. I even applied once for a job where I *knew* they had *absolutely* shafted the previous occupant, someone I liked and respected VERY much. I didn't get it, but the previous occupant was indignant on my behalf. ;-)

BrightStar (B*) said...

yes, yes, apply. the shafted-ness is not your fault.

Rebecca said...

Yep, apply away. What happened to the person you know isn't your fault! And, you need a job. So...

Dean Dad said...

Apply. There's no nobility in poverty, and you have the advantage of going in with your eyes open.

Good luck!

Another Damned Medievalist said...

Thanks, all. Applied by e-mail, after seeing the shafted person's statement on a listserv that it was not a problem. Must follow up with hard copies, but am really hoping for the local job. Found out that faculty seldom leave, because it's such a happy place.

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

I don't know enough about the context to say anything helpful, but I really like the land-transaction idea. :)

Good luck with the local job!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree about the land transaction thing. (I didn't say anything sooner because it was so clearly a good idea that I didn't think anything needed to be said!) Sounds fascinating to me!