Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Wait! This Is Work!

Wait! This is work!


So this morning, I'm sitting in the chair, listening to my roommate, Professor Kinsey, grade her essays for her many online students. And I thought, "I should really get off my butt and get to work!" And then I thought, "I'm actually reading reviews in the latest Speculum, and they are pertinent. This is work, doofus!"

Blogging, however, is not. Still, it's nice to be getting to a point when I can remember that reading is not just a good use of my time, but in the job description. Hehehee! Job Description! 'Cos, you know, I HAVE ONE!!! For the year, at least! Must. Stop. Grinning.

Blogging about substantive issues to resume shortly.

3 comments:

Kelly in Kansas said...

I still remember my major professor talking about one of the biggest joys of our profession is actually getting paid to read!!!! Now the question is, where do we find the time? (But at least post-PhD we get to chose most of what we read! Yippee!!)

Anonymous said...

Over 20 years after the Ph.D., and about 16 since landing the permanent job, I'm still not secure in the feeling that I'm paid for reading.

However, I *am* paid, so I can deal with that little insecurity.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I do that all the time...feel the guilt overwhelm me and think, "I should get to work" then look down to realize I am indeed reading something that qualifies as "work."
v.