Monday, November 13, 2006

NaBloPoMo 13

NaBloPoMo 13 -- Administrivia



First, there's a contest on, people!!. We have one judge so far, Jonathan Dresner at Frog in a Well. Any other volunteers?

In other news, I got a set of papers back today. Some look fine. Others? not so much. And one of them has an opening paragraph that's loosely paraphrased from an Amazon.com film review. How do I know? Because I've been doing this job a long time, and there are just some comparisons that freshmen will never make. Why? Because for one thing, none of them have seen a film made before 1990. *sigh* So, now I get to go talk to my chair and the dean and find out how much I need to document.

In other news, I've suddenly gone from trying to adjust and get back to researching to an absolute panic about getting my as-yet-not-accepted-but-maybe K'zoo paper done. Why? I have gone from, "how am I going to get enough service on my resume?" to OMG, I've just been appointed to a Big Important Committee, and a second pretty important committee (both university-wide and one very high profile), and oh, yeah, a search committee. And of course, now we're in the wind down of this term, where I have all kinds of marking, and then I'm gone for at least a week during break, and then all new preps for next term plus two conferences (only one of which I'm presenting at, thank goodness, but if I'm lucky, that'll be a paper and a roundtable on things pedagogical). How absolutely crazy am I for really keeping my fingers crossed that my K'zoo paper gets accepted?

Yipes. Just, yipes. And kind of "wow. It's like I'm a real academic like the other kids!"

Good wishes and advice welcomed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. Welcome to the jungle. :-)

Sorry about your plagiarist!

timna said...

I can't believe you have to be on a search committee the first year. While I think 3 years of probation here is a bit much when they've given me over 5 years of seniority (!), it does keep me from being in those potentially alienating positions.

Another Damned Medievalist said...

Well, the search committee is probably going to be the least alienating of them, I think. I was asked by a senior colleague if I'd be interested, and I think that pretty much everybody on the committee has similar teaching values. It's the other two that are scary political.