Wednesday, August 28, 2002

Is it just me, or are there tons of Catholic blogs out there? Does anyone know why? I'd ask you to comment, but I haven't got that particular technology yet. You can e-mail me, though. It's a very strange thing... do Catholics have more time? I certainly enjoy many of the sites, especially Catholic Light and Holy Weblog. Me, I'm a fairly secular Papist. Probably comes from the anti-organized religion upbringing. That, and I live with (in a non-canonical but legal marriage, thank you) a lapsed Catholic. His idea of being a good Catholic seems to be based on the pre-Vatican II Church in which he was raised. Still, I try to do my part -- at least my students at the state schools come out of freshman history knowing that Catholics are Christians, that Jesus was raised a Jew, and that, for a very long time, to be a Christian west of the Adriatic pretty much meant being a Catholic (or a heretic). Not a bad thing in a state where a very large number of kids come straight to college as Running Start students, after being home-schooled for (usually) religious reasons. Needless to say, there aren't a lot of Catholics being home-schooled -- that's why there are parochial schools.. Plus, once one gets to high school age (in Seattle, at least), the schools with the best reputations for college prep are Holy Names Academy -- all girls, and Seattle Prep -- co-ed and Jesuit. So, in a weird twist of fate or individual rights politics, there are a lot of kids out there getting pretty Conservative Christian educations for the first 10 or so years, and then thrown into a diverse, multicultural world. Talk about culture shock!