Saturday, June 10, 2006

Still here, mostly

Still here, mostly


Really. Sensible blogging will begin again. I've got all kinds of posts in my mind, from another "How to do College" post to the further adventures of ADM as she moves thousands of miles into a different latitude (with more sunlight during the winter, I hope), adjusts to a new life in a place where she knows almost no one, madly scrambles to get two new preps together for Fall, Three new preps for Spring, and somehow turns out two more book reviews, scrapes the back of her tiny brain for a conference paper (or two, because finally the most coolest evah Late Antiquity conference has a theme that I might be able to write to -- suggestions are welcome via e-mail... please!), and tries to generally astound and amaze the good folks at SLAC with what a good hire I am.

But first ... Final grades in last night. Office almost entirely cleaned out. One more trip on Monday to take care of keys, paperwork, purging computer files, etc. Wedding reception for good friends tomorrow. Packing up my house (the vast majority of the packing is not done) for the truck that arrives on Thursday ...finishing up with last visits, final details and as many World Cup matches as possible after my stuff heads off without me. I am kinda swamped. In the meantime, feel free to offer suggestions for posts, questions for me to answer, and talk amongst yourselves.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in pulling together all of those final details!

Another Damned Medievalist said...

Thanks!

I'll be in touch!

Dr. Virago said...

You should fly out Flavia (the artist formerly known as La Lecturess) to pack for you. Apparently she *likes* it.

As for me, I'll be empathizing with you all the way. I'm only moving across town, but for some reason I'm finding it more complicated that the two cross-country moves I've done. And I *hate* packing.

Flavia said...

Hey now! I didn't say that I liked *moving*--actually, I hate it with a fiery passion. But given that moving is awful, there are some elements of it that are rather satisfying.

But the point of this is: I feel you, ADM. Good luck with everything.

Another Damned Medievalist said...

Thanks! And if anyone feels like helping with packing or unpacking, I will happily buy you a very nice dinner!

Tiruncula said...

Thursday - wow! What did you end up deciding about driving vs. flying/cats/old car vs. new car? I've lost track.

All my sympathies about the packing thing. Did I know so many bloggers who were moving last summer, and did I just fail to notice until I became a mover myself? It seems like everybody is moving. If only there were a Sitemeter map that would show all the little blogger dots on the move, crisscrossing the country. It would be like maps of barbarian invasions!

Another Damned Medievalist said...

Truck is hauling my stuff, and I'm taking the cats on a plane -- in cargo, as they couldn't both fly in the cabin (and I'm not sure I want to inflict either of them on other passengers, anyway). I figured several hours in the kitty cages and scary airplane is better than everal days, although I'm now having second thoughts. At least in a car I'd be with them the whole time.

Rebecca said...

Fun! Packing! Do join my new club, Moving Across the Country is a Pain in the Ass!

Another Damned Medievalist said...

Argh! I forgot you were moving, too!

Rebecca said...

Caleb McDaniel is moving, too. That makes three of us... :)

Anonymous said...

I'm only moving 200 miles. Does that count? (But OTOH, I am crossing a national border...)

Another Damned Medievalist said...

If you have to pack up your home, and not just clothes, it counts!

Anonymous said...

I'm trying not to think about the packing right now... Not much looking forward to flat hunting next week either. At least I haven't got any pets to worry about.