Saturday, July 01, 2006

I'm just sayin ...

I'm Just Saying ...


There is a word I seldom use. Almost never. It's one of those taboo words, at least in the US. I used it today to refer to Wayne Rooney. While I do not condone violence, I would not be all that displeased to hear that someone had smacked that boy upside the head and banned him from ever playing football again. Ever. I like him even less than C. Ronaldo, who has always been a dirty, cheating, arrogant little [insert any of the several words I can think of here].

And no, I wasn't surprised. Put a thick-headed, doltish, thug like Rooney, a player whose brilliance at scoring goals is well-balanced by the amount of time his head is stuck so far up his arse that it's surprising that he isn't more brain-damaged from the lack of oxygen, on a team, and he will screw it up.

And Sven-Goren? Re Frank Lampard. Can be brilliant. Having a terrible game. That's when a substitution isn't a bad idea. I'm just sayin'.

3 comments:

meg said...

We were on the road, so I missed the match. Yahoo won't play the video clips for me either. Wish I'd seen it.

But as I commented elsewhere, after the thuggishness of the Netherlands match, I can't muster the full measure of sympathy for all the fouls the Quinas received.

Another Damned Medievalist said...

Honestly, I didn't see any fouls worth complaining about except for Rooney's. The Portuguese were diving like there was a prize for it, and some of the play-acting was really sickening. The ref did an amazing job of ignoring a lot of it, but that little shit Ronaldo was not even subtle about his part in trying to draw fouls, and in "helping" to calm Rooney down, knowing full well, that he was fanning the fire and that Rooney would probably be sent off.

It just annoys me so much when you see someone with so much talent relying regularly on cheating. And Cristiano Ronaldo is a cheating little f*#k. I can't see him staying at United after this. If he does, I really do predict serious retaliation, either on the training pitch or in a match. I normally like Portugal, too -- Figo and Deco, Carvalho, and Tiago are just really good players. But I just want to slap Ronaldo.

Anonymous said...

This is the reaction of a non-football fan (I don't follow it at all), but personally I find the whole play-acting stuff hysterical! Very dramatic and amusing. (Of course, I'm sure I'd feel differently if I cared about the game!)