Thursday, February 08, 2007

PSA: BL Cuts

PSA: Cuts at the BL



Last week, there was a link to Something Bad Happening at the BL at Cliopatria.

As a followup, I've just seen this posted elsewhere. It's the online petition against the proposed changes and charges for BL use. I don't know where non-UK citizens/residents/ex-pats are supposed to write, though, as this seems to be purely for them:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/library/

If you do know where non-UK taxpayers are supposed to write, please feel free to post in the comments, and I'll bring it up to the main post. Thanks!

UPDATE: A suggestion has come through for the correct address for letters:

Rt Hon Tessa Jowell MP
Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport
Department for Culture Media & Sport
2-4 Cockspur Street
London
SW1Y 5DH

If you know a better one, though, please let me know, and I'll post.

ANOTHER UPDATE:
From a friend ...

"According to their website, the BL is actively campaigning against the
proposed cuts and Lynne Brindley has asked those who feel strongly about
this issue to contact the library and explain "why the British Library is
important to you and give us permission to use your letter in our campaign.
Please e-mail chief-executive@bl.uk with your name, contact number and
message, or write to Lynne Brindley, Chief Executive, The British Library, 96
Euston Road, London NW1 2DB."
So if you have five minutes to spare, do send an e-mail or letter too."

2 comments:

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Thanks for this info - I'm shocked by the extent of these cuts, & hope the international community of scholars can find a way to express how much this will affect them.

Wegie said...

I've signed. Unfortunately I have absolutely no confidence in my so-called government listening to a word I or anyone else says.