Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Getting the hang of things

Getting the hang of things


OK. I've found a bunch of new jobs to apply to in the next two weeks. I will be applying. But I'm starting to feel a bit more hopeful. Somehow, since last summer, I've managed to:
  • end a marriage amicably
  • find a one-year job, for which I turned down a different one-year job and adjunct classes at two colleges for the fall
  • turn in one complete and very overdue book review now in press
  • write a paper abstract
  • teach a full load (15 class hours per week), including one brand-new prep very much not in my field
  • move twice
  • edit/proof a chapter of a friend's diss
  • apply for 25 jobs so far
  • interview for one job
  • schedule an interview for a second job
  • finish a draft of a second review that I've posted to my workblog for my colleagues to laugh at and critique so I can send it to my editor by this weekend
  • make time to edit a paper for a colleague this weekend


Now ... I haven't been to the gym since this summer, or been for a run since September. And I have to get the draft of the paper done by early April. But I think I might be getting the hang of this academic stuff. Maybe. When I get all this stuff done and if I don't fall on my face at Kazoo, do I have your permission to give a very small lion-cub-like rowr?

7 comments:

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Nope. Because a) you won't fall on your face at Kzoo, and b) because all of that deserves a big fat full-sized lion ROWR! :)

timna said...

I think the roaring should commence. now!

Anonymous said...

Definitely! :-) (Will look at work blog later...)

Another Damned Medievalist said...

You guys are so nice! And I forgot the parts about doing two carnivals and managing a list serv! Yipes. But it's nice to hear that from people with jobs, because I honestly have a hard time knowing how much normal, employed academics do.

Ahistoricality said...

Anything less than full-bore lioness will be considered unworthy of your accomplishments....

Rebecca said...

You'll be a star at Kalamazoo, and you can/should roar like a lion whenever you feel like it!!

Kelly in Kansas said...

rowr away!!!